Full Gallery

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Review of Sakura Pigma Micron Pen

So a lot of my art is done with this pen, and I'd like to share how great it really is.

I mostly use the 01 02 and 05 thicknesses, because they are all I really need to do the type of crosshatch tonal art that I do. Overall, I think a pen has a few qualities that make it really stand out:

Tone: The micron pen is available in a multitude of colors, but I only use the black. However, the black really stands out as a true black, no matter how thin the line. It does not fade, and is a pigment based pen, and most likely won't fade for a long time.

Variability: A pen really needs to be able to produce a variety of widths, and the Sakura set comes with a ton of different widths, ranging from a really small 005, to a brush. However, the pen is not able to have a variable stroke with different pressures, which is good for very detailed illustrations. After all, if you want to draw something with very fluid strokes and variable lines, it is best for you to use a flex nib dip pen, which I use very often, such as in my leopard and the flowers. I might talk about that in another post.

Durability: The pen is really durable, and the tip doesn't seem to show any signs of wear, even with pressure applied. It will last you a long long time.

On the right is a comparison of the different widths that I use often, and a tonal scale done with the 01 thickness to show how well it can be used to crosshatch and change the image of light and dark.

I hope you enjoyed this review and I HIGHLY recommend the purchase of this pen (and the set).

Check out some of the art I did with this pen on yesterday's post!

No comments:

Post a Comment